If a judge’s conduct does not meet our expected high standards and they are not suitable to be a member of the judiciary, both the provincial (and territorial) and federal governments have systems for reviewing complaints about the conduct of judges.

Superior Court Judges

The Canadian Judicial Council has authority over the work of more than 1,200 federally appointed judges. The procedure for making a complaint about a federally appointed judge is described in this section of the website.

Provincial and Territorial Court Judges

Individual provincial and territorial judicial councils have responsibility for provincially appointed judges in provincial courts. As part of their mandates to improve the quality of judicial service in provincial courts, they review complaints about provincially appointed judges.

These links take you to the websites of provincial judicial councils in Canada.

No website available at this time for the Alberta Judicial Council.
Please contact:
Alberta Judicial Council
Provincial Court of Alberta
Law Courts
6th Floor,
1-A Sir Winston Churchill Square
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 0R2
Tel: (780) 427-6330

Making a complaint about a lawyer

Complaints about lawyers should be made to the relevant provincial or territorial law society. A complete list of law societies is available on the Federation of Law Societies website.